The major responsibility of a Housekeeping Supervisor is to ensure that the rooms are serviced to the customer's satisfaction. He is expected to co-ordinate the various services extended to the guests in an appropriate fashion while maintaining the standards all the while.
A Housekeeping Supervisor is expected to manage and provide housekeeping and laundry services for the rooms, offices, and corridors.
Housekeeping Supervisors are also expected to be ready to tackle any sort of complaints by the customers and possess good decision making skills.
They are expected to maintain constant communication with subordinates, employees, superiors, and most importantly of all, the guests.
Housekeeping Supervisors must actively participate in supervising the housekeeping services which include cleaning and scrubbing the floors along with their sanitization. They must ensure that all the common places are litter free at all times. Housekeeping Supervisors are required to perform regular checks through all the common places
They should make sure that all special features of the hotel are projected in the right manner. All the cleaning, dusting, and polishing of furniture and other equipment must be done regularly and thoroughly. Inventory of linens must be done regularly and supplied to all the areas on a daily basis.
They should be able to function independently without any supervision. They must make decisions in the established work routine in order to achieve the standards set by the norms. Any problems or decisions which reach beyond the supervisor's domain are referred to the immediate seniors. They should provide specific and detailed direction is given to their subordinates on special assignments.
All applicants must possess a minimum GCE ‘O' Level of qualification or its equivalent, along with a minimum of 2 to 3 years of relevant experience in the hospitality industry. A degree in hospitality management can also help you to land a housekeeping supervisor job. One year of prior experience in a supervisory capacity is a must.
- They MUST be available to work on Sunday and Public Holiday.
- They must possess the general knowledge of all established cleaning procedures and techniques.
- They must be comfortable in evaluation and handling of equipment and products used in cleaning.
- They must evaluate the quality and quantity of work completed through observation and inspection.
- Should be able to lead a work group effectively by assignment of areas of work
- They should possess great communication skills (both written and oral)
- They must have the ability to co-ordinate, monitor, supervise and adjust daily routines and schedules.
- They must ensure that all Health, Safety and Security regulations are adhered to at all times. This includes the fire procedures and other regulations, all of which they should be aware of.
- They must ensure that reports of any faults or infringements of the hotel's procedures are filed and act immediately where appropriate to correct them.
As mentioned above, the experience of the applicants play a vital role in deciding the remuneration package. The package is based on the size of the organization and the role of the supervisor. The average salary of a Housekeeping Supervisor ranges from $30,000 to $35,000. Increments and other perks will be discussed as per the structure of the organization.
Housekeeping Supervisors are required to work between 37-40 hours a week. This includes working in shifts, early starts, and working on weekends and public holidays as mentioned above. They must be willing to travel to attend the various seminars and training programs related to hospital management. Supervisors are required all over the world in many kinds of organizations in their maintenance departments for hassle free functioning.